Former Manchester United defender Jaap Stam has made himself available to Erik ten Hag, with the legend keen on joining the manager’s coaching staff.
Stam told De Telegraaf via Tribal Football, that while he has never spoken to anyone at Old Trafford about a possible role, he would welcome the opportunity.
The former Netherlands defender is currently not in management after he was sacked by FC Cincinnati a year ago.
He has had previous coaching roles with Reading and Feyenoord.
Stam said, “When a new coach arrives, he invites his people who he knows and trusts and who can help him in certain ways.”
“But like I said before, United is the club I love.”
“I grew there as a person and as a player, they made me stronger, they made me who I am now.”
“I have made history with this club and if they need me, if I can help them in any way.”
“I am always at their service.”
The 50-year-old has worked with the Red Devils before. He joined his former club where he enjoyed so much success as a scout, covering South American players.
As a player, he featured 127 times for the 20-time English champions, winning the treble in 1999 and two other titles.
Should Ten Hag see fit, Stam, is someone that could impart his well of defensive knowledge to the players.
United Matchday Magazine – the ultimate pre-match experience
Get ready for aggression and entertainment. United are on a Moldovan mission. And the new issue of the Matchday Mag is out now!
- Online football content like you’ve never seen before
- A unique match centre and hand-picked news, features and opinion
- No ads, no clickbait, no fake news – just 100% pure United
- Instantly delivered to your device with easy and secure online ordering
- Click Preview to see more or buy now for just £1.25/$1.50
- Limited time offer: SAVE 33% on a season pass – use discount code SEASON33 at checkout.