The Hungerford Stakes is the big draw at Newbury races on Saturday as a field of 10 runners head to post for the Group Two conteest over 7f. Last year we saw the William Haggas yard win the race for the second time since 2015 and they are back for more this year with their improving 3 year-old – Tiber Flow.
Andy Newton takes a look at the runners and the key trends, plus he gives you his Newbury racing tip for the Hungerford Stakes.
Best Horse Racing Betting Offers & Free Bets
Already claimed these betting offers? You can check out the best horse racing betting sites and add more top bookmakers to your portfolio.
DID YOU KNOW? 16 of the last 20 Hungerford Stakes winners were aged 3 or 4
What Time Is The 2022 Hungerford Stakes?
The Group Two Hungerford Stakes is a Group Two race run over 7f at Newbury racecourse.
🕙Time: 3:35pm (UK time)
📅Date: Saturday 13th August 2022
💰 Winner: £56,710 (7f, Group 2)
📺 TV: ITV / RTV
William Haggas Has Landed Two Of The Last Seven Hungerford Stakes
12 months ago we saw the William Haggas yard take first prize here with Sacred and that was their second success since 2015.
They are back for more this year too, with their improving 3 year-old – TIBER FLOW @ SP with BetUK . This Caravaggio colt has won four of his six career starts and wasn’t disgraced last time when stepping up to G1 level after running 8th in the Commonwealth Cup at Royal Ascot (beaten 4 1/4 lengths).
He’s back into a Group Two today and also up to 7f again, plus is also 2-from-2 over this trip. Being a 3 year-old he also gets a handy weight pull from the older horses, with the other main players – Chindit giving him 9lbs and Pogo 6lbs.
Hungerford Stakes Trends and Stats
Help find the winner of the 2022 Hungerford Stakes using our key big race trends. Apply these to the Hungerford Stakes runners and find the best profiles of past winners.
- 18/20 – Didn’t win last time out
- 18/20 – Had won a Listed or Group race before
- 17/20 – Had won over this 7f trip before
- 17/20 – Officially rated 108 or more
- 16/20 – Aged 3 or 4 years-old
- 15/20 – Had won 3 or more times already in their career
- 14/20 – Had 3 or more previous runs already that season
- 10/20 – Had run at Newbury before (4 won)
- 8/20 – Ran at Goodwood last time out
- 2/20 – Trained by William Haggas (2 of the last 7)
- 12 of the last 13 winners were all draw 6 or lower
- Just one winner from stall 1 in the last 13 runnings
92% Of The Last 13 Winners Came From Stalls 6 Or Lower
This is a trend that is hard to ignore, with a huge chunk of the recent winners hailing from stalls 6 or lower. If this is to be repeated, it’s ‘top news’ for punters as we can put a line through four of the 10 runners.
Those that are drawn in stalls 7 or higher are – Dubai Poet, Primo Bacio, Double Of Bubble and Happy Romance.
3 and 4 Year-old Have The Best Recent Records
With 16 of the last 20 Hungerford winners aged 3 or 4 years-old (80%) this has been another trend that’s rewarded punters in recent years. Yes, of the 10 runners we’ve got 8 that fit the bill, but we can still rule out two based on this – Pogo (6) and Double Or Bubble (5).
Newbury Racing Tips | Our 2022 Hungerford Stakes Best Bet
It’s hard to ignore the good record of the William Haggas yard and with their course winner Tiber Flow unbeaten over this 7f trip it’s hard to put you off him. But both of those wins have been narrow ones so I just feel that he only just gets this distance.
With that in mind, the Richard Hannon runner – CHINDIT @ SP with BetUK – gets the verdict. He’s the second top-rated in the field (113) and despite having to give 9lbs away to Tiber Flow is still rated 6lbs higher than the Haggas horse.
He’s been running fair races against the classy Baaeed this season so will find this ease in grade easier and the drop back to 7f is also a plus for me, with 4 of his 6 career wins coming over this distance.
We also know he stays a mile, so that proven stamina will help and he’s also a Group Three winner over this course and distance when taking the Greenham Stakes here last season.
Note: Odds are subject to change
Hungerford Stakes 2022 Latest Betting, Runners and Probability Of Winning
All odds correct as of 10:09BST on Fri 12 Aug and subject to change
Recent Hungerford Stakes Winners
- 2021 – SACRED (6/1)
- 2020 – DREAM OF DREAMS (13/8 fav)
- 2019 – GLORIOUS JOURNEY (10/3)
- 2018 – SIR DANCEALOT (4/1)
- 2017 – MASSAAT (12/1)
- 2016 – RICHARD PANKHURST (11/1)
Watch Sacred Winning The 2021 Hungerford Stakes Again
Newbury Race Times and Schedule | Sat 13th Aug
- 1:20 – Download The BetVictor App Handicap Cl4 (3yo+ 0-85) 1m2f ITV
- 1:55 – Denford Stakes (Listed Race) Cl1 (2yo) 7f ITV
- 2:30 – BetVictor Geoffrey Freer Stakes (Group 3) Cl1 (3yo+) 1m5½f ITV
- 3:00 – BetVictor Handicap Cl2 (3yo+ 0-105) 7f ITV
- 3:35 – BetVictor Hungerford Stakes (Group 2) Cl1 (3yo+) 7f ITV
- 4:10 – Mettal UK British EBF Restricted Maiden Stakes (For horses In Bands B/C/D) (EBF Qual’) (GBB Race) Cl3 (3yo) 1m3f RTV
- 4:45- Rangers Riding Ranch Amateur Jockeys’ Handicap Cl4 (3yo+ 0-80) 1m4f RTV
Do You Already Have Accounts With The Main Bookies? See Below 10 Up-and-Coming Bookmakers With Cracking Free Bets and Offers
See below our select list of some of the newer bookies around – but totally trusted bookmakers, that will also have prices ahead of the horse racing today – best of all they ALL also have ‘must-see’ free bet sign-up offers to snap-up. Or, if you’ve already claimed these betting offers – you can check out all the latest best horse racing betting sites here.